Gulf of Poets, to commemorate the many poets who “stayed” in the far eastern part of Liguria in different periods. The early town was extended thanks to the construction of a naval arsenal in the 19th century, at the wishes of Cavour, who commissioned the task to engineer Domenico Chiodo. In 1872, it also became a merchant sea point, and it is now, in terms of its importance, the second port in Liguria. In its surrounding hills, you will find the San Giorgio museum of archaeology, in the castle of the same name, with relics dating back from prehistory to the Middles Ages. Also worth visiting is the Lia Museum, the museum of seals, and the naval museum, which provides a thorough record of the city’s seafaring traditions. The city centre expands over Via Del Prione and the parallel Via Cavour, with houses belonging to noble families.. Not to be missed is the “Passeggiata Morin”, a sea front walk alongside beautiful gardens and palms in the style usually found in the towns of the riviera. In 2004, an early 20th-century building, used previously as a court, was carefully restored and is now home to the Centre for modern and contemporary art (CAMeC). Its three display floors are used for exhibitions of great cultural value. The Palio del Golfo is held on the first Sunday of August, on the waters in front of the Morin walkway: a regatta of Ligurian fishing boats, in which the 13 maritime villages compete: Porto Venere, Le Grazie, Fezzano, Cadimare, Marola, the Circolo Ricreativo Dipendenti Difesa (CRDD), Canaletto, Fossamastra, Muggiano, San Terenzo, Venere Azzurra, Lerici, Tellaro. A splendid firework display on the sea concludes the evening.